- 1/2 cup oil (veggie oil is just fine, or olive oil, whatever you want)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 onion, chopped (small to medium)
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 can golden mushroom soup
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, 1 can cream style corn (or you can do 1.5-2 bags frozen corn)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, uncooked (I usually cut them in half or smaller if they’re huge)
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- Parsley (1/4 cup fresh or 1 tsp dried) – optional
- Spices (Cajun seasoning, cayenne, hot sauce, pepper, salt, etc.)
1. Make a roux with flour and oil: turn the heat on medium-low, add the oil and then immediately the flour. Stir constantly until golden brown/like a nice caramel color or a little darker. DO NOT WALK AWAY. NOT EVEN TO PICK UP THE PHONE OR USE THE BATHROOM. It will burn. Trust me. Stir, stir stir. Will likely take about 10-15 minutes.
2. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, celery. Saute until tender. May have to add a little water to keep it moist.
3. Add mushroom soup, Rotel, and corn. Mix in water for right soup consistency.
4. Add shrimp, green onions, and parsley. Season to taste.
5. Cook until soup thickens (cover off usually), at least half an hour or so. Taste again and season as needed.
Note: This will make a large enough pot of soup to freeze half or serve several people.