Millions of people are writing this very same post, or will soon. Resolutions, goals, aspirations, to-dos, whatever you want to call them, we all have them. Many will not write them down or say them out loud, but they are spoken in hearts and minds, in dreams, and in prayers. And many will have similar items on their lists: to lose weight and exercise more, to eat more healthfully and to eat out less, to learn new skills and say good riddance to bad habits.
Be that as it may, our lists are sprinkled with some personal to-dos, and each has a reason for its inclusion that’s special only to the person who resolves to achieve it. So while I may want to learn Italian because I’m traveling there in 2012, someone else may want to be able to converse with their grandmother. You may see some of your own items on my list – let me know which ones we share in common! I wish everyone the best as they work towards their goals for 2012, and for life.
1. Watch all Christopher Plummer movies
2. Read some of the classic lit novels that have been sitting on my bookshelf for years
3. Run a half marathon (committed to one in March); run at least five races total & set a new 10k PR
4. Take more chances; be fearless and leap into the unknown more
5. Finish the quilt I started working on at age 11
6. Learn to knit
7. Buy a keyboard and start playing again
8. Learn basic Italian
9. Become fluent in German
10. Keep #GoodSpotting
11. Cook one new dish a week
12. Sign up to be a Girls on the Run buddy
13. Start yoga again and do it consistently (at least once a week)
14. Find a tennis partner
15. Volunteer at a food kitchen
16. Try again, and then walk away (if I’m not getting a response)
17. Cross off at least five items on my DC bucket list (I’ll have to ignore the original deadline of February)
18. Worry less, embrace “it is what it is” (one of my least favorite sayings)
19. Let go of broken and disappointing relationships & friendships
20. Go on a lot second dates
I could go on and on, but I think 20 is a good starting place. Here’s to a new year, new opportunities, and new experiences.